Use of English language on board is mandatory for seafarers globally. STCW convention and IMO requirements stipulate the need for seafarers to communicate in English language respectively.
Maritime English is very important for a seafarer to communicate efficaciously when onboard a vessel. It is vitally important for a multitude of reasons; the safety of the crew, the efficiency of daily tasks and the integrity of the ship.
Maritime English is a universal language that is understood by every person in the maritime industry around the world. It contains standardized structures and specialized vocabulary that ensure efficiency in daily tasks and correct responses to emergencies. Its primary goal is to ensure the safe functioning of a ship with enhanced internal and external communication.
- To read and understand simple and common English phrases.
- To communicate effectively with each other in one common language (English).
- Demonstrate improved proficiency in grammatical structures, e. g. prepositions, tenses, and sentence structures.
- Interpret and respond with appropriate choice of vocabulary in day-to-day shipboard work situations.
- Express yourselves effectively with greater fluency and clearer pronunciation.
Aspects of English Language that are covered in the program:
- Basic Grammar,
- Maritime Terminology,
- Listening Comprehension,
- Phrasing, and
Each of the six modules of this program covers specific objectives and builds language skills you will require on board.