Safety Familiarization course is designed to equip the itinerant first time seafarer with the necessary skills and knowledge to fit into the safety systems of the vessel and company. They will be sufficiently familiar with these systems and will also be aware of where to access additional information to broaden these basic skills.
1. Be familiarized with the general aspect of Safety Culture Onboard a vessel.
2. Understand the basic principles of carrying out Risk Assessment in relation to occupational Health and Safety onboard.
3. Be familiarized with the various Personal Protective gear used onboard
4. Understand general safety precautions with respect to machinery usage, fire precautions on-board etc.
5. Understand “Manual Handling techniques” and factors considered in proper usage of various work equipment.
6. Be introduced to the concept of Contingency Plan and emergency checklists.