Ship Handling Basics Training Course will give a comprehensive understanding of how to effectively maintain control of a ship when maneuverings to avoid other vessels, maneuvering in confined waters, berthing, anchoring and in emergencies at Operational Level, hydrodynamic factors that effects ship, and Drift Angle. This training will also refresh some commonly employed Ship Handling techniques.
1. To understand factors affecting Ship Maneuverability (Ship Handling qualities) .
2. To understand the following hydrodynamic factors that effects ship
3. To understand the term Drift Angle.
4. To refresh some commonly employed Ship Handling techniques, including:
- Using Lateral Thrusters,
- Using Slow speed control
- Use of Rate of Turn
- Using Pivot point (with Tugs)
- Unberthing at STS, without tugs
- Dredging anchors (and associated guidelines)
- Emergency Anchoring
- Man-overboard Manoeuvers (Williamson Turn, Scharnow Turn, and Anderson Turn)